Acne and Acne Treatment
Acne is an inflammatory disease, characterized by redness, swelling, and tenderness of the sebaceous glands (a type of sweat glands most numerous on the face, chest and back).
- Hormones, especially when elevated by puberty, menses and stress.
- Cosmetics, such as Noxzema, cocoa butter, mineral oil, Vaseline®.
- Foods and beverages, including milk and dairy products, caffeine, citrus fruits, and foods containing iodine. But foods are a very uncommon cause of acne.
- Bacteria, which are not a primary cause of acne.
We offer treatment options at our Cranston, Rhode Island ( RI ) location.
- Oral antibiotics. These have anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent formation of new cysts, but they are not curative and work only as long as you take them.
- Oral or injected cortisone or prednisone to get rid of redness and swollen cysts. Its anti-inflammatory properties are rapid and effective, but only short-term (1 to 4 weeks).
- Topical drying agents such as benzoyl peroxides and vitamin A acid (Retin-A) to keep the skin dry, get rid of blackheads, and help cysts heal more quickly
- Topical antibiotics.
- Incision and drainage of cysts.
- Cortisone injected into cysts.
- Cryo-spraying of cysts with liquid nitrogen to decrease inflammation and speed healing.
- Isotretinoin, an oral medication reserved for the most severe and long-lasting cases of acne.
- Blue Light - Click here for more information
- Smooth Beam - Laser treatment ton treat acne, targeting the overactive sebaceous glands
Laser and Acne Treatment Results
- Patient Registration Forms
- Acne Treatment
- Pityriasis Rosea
- Poisonous Plants
- Small Pox
- Pediatric Dermatology
- Treating warts
If you don't find what you are looking for, please refer to