All of us would love to look 10 years younger, but going under a plastic surgeon’s knife can be scary and Botox is not for everyone, although it is now the most popular cosmetic treatment in the USA – safe, FDA-approved, nearly painless, and immediately gratifying.
However, virtually everyone can look 10 years younger without surgery or Botox by following some pretty simple steps.
1. Wear sunscreen daily. Choose a sunscreen with the active mineral ingredient zinc oxide or titanium dioxide and no alcohol.
2. Drink more water. Dehydrated skin equals wrinkled skin. Staying well hydrated can mean the difference between smooth skin and wrinkled skin.
3. Get more sleep. Aim to get a minimum of eight hours of sleep every night to keep dark circles at bay. Bonus points if you’re snoozing between the hours of 10 p.m. and 2 a.m., which is when cell regeneration peaks.
4. Use a humidifier. While you’re getting your beauty rest, keep a humidifier nearby to help skin retain maximum moisture. This is especially important if you live in drier climates and during the winter when you’re frequently exposed to indoor heating.
5. Ditch the cigarettes. Smoking will make you age prematurely. Although quitting smoking won’t reverse all of these changes overnight, it’s the first step that all smokers should take if they don’t want to age prematurely.
6. Decrease your sugar intake. Sugar is the absolute worst food to eat for your skin. It ages the skin by creating inflammation and can weaken the collagen and elastin in your skin. So skip the cookies.
7. Eat more fish. You’ll get plenty of antioxidants to protect against free-radical damage. You’ll also get a big dose omega-3 fatty acids to help plump up slack skin.
8. Eat colorful fruits and veggies. Antioxidants are your body’s best defense against free radicals. Opt for colorful fruits and vegetables, rich in antioxidants, to slow down and even reverse the aging process.
9. Choose healthy fats. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats soothe the skin, decrease inflammation, and moisturize it from the inside out. Choose nuts, olive oil, avocados, salmon and tuna. Avoid foods high in saturated fats that can increase inflammation and accelerate the aging of your skin.
10. Exfoliate your skin regularly. When we’re young, our skin turns over every 6-8 weeks. This process slows as we age, causing the upper layer of dead skin cells to make our skin look drier, appear wrinkled, and feel rougher. Exfoliating reveals the smoother, healthier skin below it.
11. Massage your face & cleanse gently. Whenever you wash your face, massage it. Also, choose cream or milk cleansers over oil cleansers to avoid scrubbing away the natural lipids on your skin and drying it out.
12. Choose complexion-friendly makeup. Swap out anything that’s powder based, which will dry and accentuate lines. Choose more luminous liquid or hydrating cream options instead. This includes foundation, blush, highlighter and, if your eyes aren’t prone to getting slick, cream shadow.
13. Use Retinol. This vitamin A derivative helps to speed up cell turnover and stimulate new collagen growth for a more even-toned and plumper-looking skin. See your dermatologist for a prescription and ease into using it to prevent irritation.